Monday, December 31, 2012

Now or Never

December 31st.  Always a favorite day of mine, especially since my birthday is January 1st.  Each year, I get to celebrate New Year's Eve and the first few hours of my birthday in the same night!  In the past, this has always been a time for me to go overboard with everything...food, drinks, dancing, and taking advantage of everything Chicago/Clearwater Beach/Vegas/Ft. Myers or wherever we decided to celebrate that year had to offer.

This year won't be much different from a partying aspect.  Josh and I are headed to Chicago to a concert to see Robert Randolph and the Family Band and Karl Denson's Tiny Universe.  There will be dancing, and drinking (although not as much as usual and only low calorie cocktails), and soaking in the craziness that is Chicago on New Year's Eve.  But it will be different from a health standpoint.  It has to be.  I made the commitment and I don't want to lose sight of my goal on Day 2, end of the year celebration or not.  Tonight will be Challenge #1.

My mom called today and asked what kind of birthday cake I wanted.  I told her thank you, but could she please just buy me a cupcake instead.  But, she said no.  She was buying cake because the rest of my family wanted to celebrate my birthday with cake, and if I didn't want to eat it, that was my choice.  Ugh.  Challenge #2.

Here's the thing.  I could have waited until after the holidays and my birthday to start this project, but that's part of my problem.  I'm always waiting for the "right" time to start being healthy.  I went on a diet and exercised like crazy before I flew to see Josh in Washington before he deployed to Iraq. I didn't see him for three months while he trained and I knew I wouldn't see him for a year, so that was my motivation.  I got healthy before my wedding because I found the dress of my dreams in a size 10.  Again, great motivation. I usually try a new exercise routine before summer starts, or after the holidays are over and I feel like I've gained 5 lbs, or when my clothes start to fit a little too tight, but it never lasts.  This time, it has to last.  I have to commit.  And tonight is as good a night as any to start.

Happy New Year 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but rude or foul language will not be tolerated.