Friday, January 4, 2013

Less is More

Today I focused on getting rid of some unecessary things and making some changes in my life.  Simple things, really.  I went through the kitchen cabinets and got rid of things that we never use.  I moved the bookshelf from the clutterred office/spare room and into the living room where I wanted it in the first place so there is more space in the office to work.  I flipped through the old magazines that piled up over the last few months just so I could recycle them.  Tomorrow, my goal is to go through the rest of the boxes in the garage that we didn't unpack from the move and get rid of what we don't need and find a place for what we do.

Doing these things made me feel less stressed, and it got me thinking about other things that help me destress.  One of those things used to be cardio kickboxing, complete with pink boxing gloves and a room full of heavy bags and sweaty people.  I would go at my own pace to make sure I wasn't overdoing it, but every time I left after a class, I felt amazing.  I would take all of the stress of my day out on those bags.  I had to stop about 8 months ago when I tore a ligament in my shoulder and I haven't been back since.  I keep thinking about going back.  I've tried a few gyms since then and it's just not the same.  I decided today that I will probably keep doing yoga because I love how it helps with my flexibility, but I really want to go back to kickboxing.  Even if it was just twice a week, I think it would be worth it, not only for my body, but for my mind. 

The problem is, the gym is close to my office but 30 minutes from my house, which means it would make the most sense to go after work. Josh doesn't get home most days until 5:30 and that's a little too long for our dog to be home alone. When I talked to Josh about it, he suggested we hire a dog walker a few days a week, but I'm not comfortable with other people coming into our house like that.  So, for now, it looks like the pink boxing gloves are staying in the closet, and I need a Plan B.      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but rude or foul language will not be tolerated.