Sunday, January 6, 2013

Week 2

Tomorrow starts the second week of this project.  Only 358 days to go.  Week 1 got off to a slow start.  With my writing, it was more about finding my voice, getting my thoughts out, and taking the small steps necessary to start.  From a health standpoint, I've committed to doing yoga almost daily and I'm going to do a trial run at a new gym tomorrow morning.  Again, a slow start, but it's something.  I've also been keeping better track of what I'm eating and drinking. Just to give an idea, here's what I had to eat today:

Breakfast - Cheerios, Banana
Snack - Nutrigrain Bar
Lunch - Grilled Chicken, Rice, Vegetables
Snack - Almonds
Dinner - Turkey Soup, Carrots
Snack - Yogurt

It's not much different from any other day, but I am trying to drink more water and watch my portion sizes.  Josh and I were watching TV today after dinner and a commercial came on for a weight loss program with a woman who was around my size in her before picture saying, "I lost 30 pounds!" 

"That's what I want," I said.  Josh gave me the same look he always does when I make comments about my weight which basically said, "You don't have 30 pounds to lose".  But see, that's the problem, and the reason I called this blog Fat is the New Normal.  People just accept the fact the I am a "normal" weight.  They don't think I'm unhealthy because a) I'm not plus size b) there are much bigger people out there c) I dress my body well so it's hard to tell how big I am and d) I'm not obese. 

I'm watching The Biggest Loser right now.  The people on this show so far weigh around 250 pounds or more.  They obviously need help.  You can tell right away that they are unhealthy.  The video clips show pictures of them eating large portions of fried foods with their families with stories about how they "let themselves go" and promised their kids/spouse/parent they would lose weight.  I don't have a story like that.  What I also don't have is Jillian Michaels yelling at me, a chef to make my meals, and a nutritionist.  But I do have a story, and I'm going to tell it, even if no one ever reads it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but rude or foul language will not be tolerated.