Sunday, January 27, 2013

Still Waiting

Yep, still waiting for my test results.  I'm not sure what the issue is.  Usually my doctor just calls in a new script if he wants to change my med levels so I don't have to come in to the office all the time, but I haven't heard anything and I'm starting to worry.  But worrying is nothing new this week...

My aunt and uncle were in a horrible car accident on Thursday.  I was leaving work and about to turn to go home when I got the call.  I went straight to the hospital.  I was the first one there, so I went back and forth from one room to the other in the ER, trying to figure out what was going on and if they were going to be okay.  I walked in the first room to find my uncle in a neck brace and unable to move.  As soon as I walked in, he started to cry, saying it wasn't his fault, it was an accident, the car hit a patch of ice and they flew down the side of a hill.  They had to be cut out of the car.  He was so scared because he didn't know what had happened to his wife.  I told him I would check on her, and left to find her room.

She was even worse.  Also in a neck brace, but still on the board they use to lift people into the ambulance.  She complained to me that they wouldn't take her off of the board and it hurt so badly, she just wanted to lie in the bed and couldn't even do that.  The nurse came in and told her the MRI results came back and they needed to do emergency surgery.  We had no idea why.  I went to tell my uncle and he broke down sobbing.  He yelled to the nurse to take him to his wife.  She rolled his bed down the ER hallway and into her room, next to her bed.  They held hands because it was all they could do, both in neck braces and unable to move.  It was heartbreaking. 

We later found out that a bone in her back had shattered during the crash and that pieces of bone were pressing against her spinal cord.  The doctors were not sure if she would be able to walk or even move after the surgery.  They gave her a 4 percent chance of recovery without paralysis.  My uncle was released on Saturday and sent home in a back brace.  He has a compression fracture but he will be okay.  My aunt was expected to have a very long road ahead of her, prognosis still unknown.  Well, we called today and talked to my aunt.  She told us that she surprised the crap out of the nurses by walking with assistance.  Unbelievable.  She is so strong.  And stubborn.  And...amazing.  She kept saying that all she wanted to do was get home and get back to work.  She was not about to lie around and feel sorry for herself.  She didn't have time for that. 

Just, wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but rude or foul language will not be tolerated.